Today, marketing is becoming increasingly diverse and versatile. Businesses develop innovative campaign concepts and combine various marketing strategies to attract the attention of their target audience, stand out from the competition, capture essential data, and effectively track incoming and outgoing calls.
The rise of mobile telephony has made call location tracking more advanced and commonplace than ever before. In fact, what was once viewed as a special privilege for law enforcement personnel has now been made available for marketers, business owners, call centers, and sales managers.
One of the most creative approaches combines location-based tracking, trackable phone numbers, and dynamic call tracking. That is a unique approach, allowing companies to bridge the gap between online and offline consumer experiences and remain innovative with their digital efforts while getting precise data on the campaign’s performance.
If you’re wondering how your business can track the location of incoming calls and implement telephone number tracking, here’s what you need to know about location-based marketing, call tracking technology, and how brands can benefit from it.
How To Track a Phone Call Location
Whether for personal or business use, tracing a phone call location can help you gain essential data on callers, including how they found a number they dialed in the first place.
However, remember that while it’s possible to find an app or solution that enables individuals to look up the location of a phone number, that could entail serious privacy concerns and consequences.
Did you miss our recent article on the new consumer data regulations? Check it out here to see how you can access and process sensitive personal consumer or employee information.
In this article, we’ll highlight how brands can legally trace and track phone numbers, trace a call location, and capture caller data to improve their sales and marketing strategies. Let’s start with location-based marketing.
The Use of Location-Based Tracking
Understanding how to track calls is crucial for businesses of all stripes. Location-based marketing is an approach that can help companies to track the movement of callers and local customers by using such technologies as GPS, store locators, Wi-Fi, QR codes, etc.
To function correctly, every mobile device communicates with other devices and hubs, such as satellites, routers, and towers. Since devices ping multiple communication hubs, their precise location can be cross-referenced. That, in turn, allows businesses to incorporate various location-tracking services and methods to accurately trace a phone number location.
Location-based tracking is a technique that matches opted-in, privacy-compliant smartphone location data to locations of interest like grocery stores or shopping malls. Marketers can use this information to develop location-based audiences. On top of that, it allows reaching out to the target audiences to provide them with more relevant ads and content.
Here are the most common techniques and tools that businesses use as part of their location-based marketing strategy:
- GPS: This function enables the device to communicate with at least four satellites. The satellites use the signal delay to determine where the signal originated. This process allows mobile devices to pinpoint the location of customers or callers and provide turn-by-turn navigation.
- Wi-Fi: Every network has a physical IP address that tells the rest of the Internet where it is so that data can be sent accurately across the infrastructure. When the device connects to a Wi-Fi network, the phone pairs with the physical IP address of that network, allowing it to trace the phone number location or determine a caller’s current location.
- Store locator: A website or app feature allows customers to find specific physical retail outlets, stores, or any organization with physical locations that consumers may need to visit. For instance, Facebook offers to add a similar feature to the brands’ instant forms for its lead ads. This way, they can find customers in a specific area who are most likely to convert.
- QR codes: When a customer scans the dynamic QR code, the information about the scan is recorded. Then, the physical location of the QR code and the location of the prospective caller or customer can be recorded.
There’s no denying that location-based tracking is an excellent technique for retailers, gyms, local restaurants, and other small businesses. However, it is not a comprehensive solution and only captures some crucial customer data.
Utilizing a call tracking software — or an all-in-one marketing automation solution — can help brands gain more insights into phone conversations, determine a call location, tap into interactions with customers, and trace number location in a few minutes.
Let’s examine in more detail what a call tracking solution is and how it can foster business and sales growth.
What Is Call Tracking?
Brands need to understand how to track a call location and have the capacity to capture and access crucial call data.
Call tracking solution enables marketers to monitor phone calls and collect data from phone conversations with customers that can be used to prove which marketing campaigns or tactics prompted every call and what the call’s outcome was. Let’s say you call a company that uses call tracking; they can tell you which ads, web pages, and even keywords prompted your call.
Once consumers are on the phone, businesses can use conversational analytics to analyze the language used in the call and determine whether callers purchased something, received a quote, or scheduled an appointment.
Brands can then use the data to get marketing campaign attribution and optimize web pages, paid ads, social media campaigns, and other digital output to get more high-quality leads and high-intent customers on the phone.
Marketers can use dynamic call tracking to assign unique phone numbers to each product, advertisement, region, or any other segment they want and then route those calls to the endpoint (typically a contact center). Besides, it helps to convert a trackable phone number into a referral source that analyzes and tracks quality leads.
How To Set Up Call Tracking
If you’re wondering how to track phone calls and want to integrate call tracking, start with your current website and the phone numbers you wish callers to dial. These numbers should be prominently displayed on your site header, homepage, landing pages, ads, or a “Contact Us” page.
For it to work, you need to use a marketing automation solution. For instance, Call Logic — Phonexa’s call tracking, call distribution, and intelligence platform — helps to effectively manage and track inbound calls, improve lead flow and consumer engagement, and obtain a trackable phone number and a snippet of code.
The process also entails including that code script in your website code. That way, a tracking number will be set up on your website, and incoming calls will be immediately forwarded to the original business number. The only difference is that every call will be tracked and logged into the call tracking software.
On top of that, brands can create multiple links and obtain call tracking numbers for different digital entities their customers may find. In other words, Phonexa’s call tracking software enables businesses to track the customer journey and determine call location, tracing each customer’s path to their websites and phone numbers.
Since Phonexa offers businesses a comprehensive call intelligence platform as part of its all-in-one marketing automation solution for calls, leads, clicks, email, SMS, accounting, and more, brands can also record phone calls, leverage call analytics, and put call data to work through its predictive modeling feature.
Ultimately, implementing a call tracking solution empowers businesses to learn how tracking the customer journey reveals which steps lead to a customer’s conversion, providing insights into where they convert the most and which parts of their sales funnel have leaks that need to be fixed.
Choosing a Call Tracking Service
With the rapid advancement of technology, it is now critical to plan, execute, and track each digital effort and marketing channel to foster business growth. Therefore, companies started adopting various marketing techniques and solutions to accurately track the location of incoming calls, analyze them, and optimize their efforts.
There’s no denying that a comprehensive call tracking solution can be a game changer for any business, resulting in successful marketing campaigns, data-backed predictions, better decision-making, improved team performance, and increased lead conversion.
Here are some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a call tracking service:
When looking for the best solution, reliability is the most crucial factor. Call data is one of the most important aspects of any activity tracking system, and its security should be a top priority. If the system goes down occasionally, the company should resolve the problem quickly and without losing data.
The quality of customer support and service is paramount. If you have any concerns, deal with technical issues, or have questions about the software, the company should respond and handle your questions and concerns as soon as possible.
A suitable call tracking system should come with a flexible plan. Each organization has its own set of requirements and operates in its way. Therefore, each plan should be adaptable to the organization’s size and needs.
When selecting software, price should always be an essential factor. It’s crucial to consider whether the price you are paying for the software is reasonable compared to the features and services provided.
Integrating a call tracking system with other CRM tools can offer businesses more information about calls, leads, and clicks. It can also give brands a better understanding of the entire sales cycle.
Benefits of Implementing a Call Tracking Solution
Modern businesses must correctly and effectively set up and optimize their online and offline marketing campaigns. Since these campaigns directly impact their sales figures and marketing ROI, the benefits and capabilities of a call tracking solution should not be overlooked.
Here’s how brands can benefit from implementing a call tracking solution and tracking a telephone number or call to a specific location:
- Get to know your audience: A call recording feature allows companies to gain a better understanding of their core customer wants, needs, demographics, and behavior. Knowing your audience and how it interacts with your business is valuable information that brands can use to boost conversions and customer satisfaction.
- Leverage campaign insights: Granular reporting is a crucial feature of call tracking. The captured data provides critical information about the target audience, such as call locations and duration. Furthermore, reporting aids in the identification of blind spots, the acquisition of valuable data, tracing a phone call location, and effectively using knowledge and insight into which channels, landing pages, or keywords drive inbound calls.
- Improve caller experience: Small businesses and enterprises can manage their incoming calls more efficiently with IVR and automatic call distribution features. On top of that, brands can benefit from lead prioritization by utilizing the software’s sophisticated filter settings.
- Utilize call transcripts: By reviewing and evaluating call transcripts, marketers can learn about their customer’s pain points, what they need, and where their efforts should be directed. As a result, this product feature helps marketing experts identify and fill gaps in their ad campaigns in real-time, allowing them to address issues as they come up.
Schedule a consultation to learn more about how Phonexa’s all-in-one suite can improve your call flow, drive more high-intent leads, and complement your company’s call tracking initiatives.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does phone location work?
Wi-Fi is one of the most accurate ways to track a customer’s location. A smartphone scans for Wi-Fi access points, which can then be used to identify the device’s location.
How can you track a phone number?
Call tracking enables businesses to learn which ad sources callers saw in real time, who they are, and their history with the company. With dynamic number insertion (DNI) technology, marketers can connect session data to offline calls and texts by using tracking numbers that are automatically swapped on a company’s website.
Can I track any cell phone by number?
It is impossible to determine a person’s location solely based on cell phone numbers. The best way to locate someone is to use mobile phone tracking software or an app. Remember that it is not legal and might entail serious consequences. Tracking cell phone calls is possible if you implement a call tracking software that follows all consumer protection regulations.
Get in touch! We are available 24/7.